Linux AVB Support

Because sometimes it is nice to just through down a RIO3224 and track a rehearsal with that and an ethernet cable into a computer, and still be able to use the same computer for more advanced setups with multiple devices to track live performances.

Seablade

Iā€™ve recently stumbled across this thread, and after reading it, Iā€™m fascinated :slight_smile:

I wonder, now that Dante have released their AVIO products if there would be more interest in working on AES67 for Linux, JACK and Ardour.

I think I might be able to afford one of these devices, and for the ideas Iā€™ve had with my home studio, theyā€™d offer a simple solution to ā€˜spreading outā€™ my components geographically.

Well the USB AVIO device I believe is class compliant for the record so if you are only talking about a channel here or there that is a non issue:)

That being said, I donā€™t believe they have, for instance, a microphone preamp version, just line level. Which could be find, but is something to be kept in mind.

All that being said, the best option right now is probably an AES67 solution with the driver from Merging Technologies is my guess, but that is going to be quite a bit more expensive for anything over 8 channels, but I havenā€™t tested this yet (I really should honestly now that I think about it).

Seablade

@seablade: it sounds like youā€™ve set yourself a challenge!

For now, a channel ā€˜here or thereā€™ is fine for my needs, and I had the same thought of finding a product that is an AES67 device, but unfortunately the cost is a limiting factor. I noticed this, which is still relatively affordable:

but I havenā€™t found anything thatā€™s specifically an AES67 device. I might just not be looking hard enough at this stage though :slight_smile:

Make note that it isnā€™t just that you need devices that are compatible, but also you need a piece of software to control the audio flow between devices. This in the Dante world is Dante Controller, which runs on OS X and Windows (And I believe might be gotten to run with WINE on Linux though I have not done it myself so do NOT take this as gospel).

Seablade

Thatā€™s a good detail to remember! Thanks, and please keep us posted of your tests! :slight_smile:

Edit: I stumbled upon Hasseb (whilst reading through a Google Groups thread), a Finnish company that are making some small AES67 devices:
https://www.hasseb.fi/

Given that the devices have a built-in web interface for configuring their routing, Iā€™m going to get one of their Mic input devices, I think.

Hi there.

Just to up the thread, and FYI, you can use for AES67 this : https://github.com/bondagit/aes67-linux-daemon, which is made from the Merging driver.

In another way this kind of product seems interesting for Dante : lx-dante, it has support for linux.