Light Weight Drumkits for DrumGizmo?

Drumgizmo’s behavior is considered, normally, the correct and superior behavior for sampled acoustic instruments, because of non-linearities in the way the instrument responds to being hit/blown/stroked/strummed “harder”.

Simply increasing volume is generally considered an inferior method when using sampled acoustic instruments.

Yeah but man ca admit it is allmost good/sufficient for electronic or ryhtmbox uses .

For sure i wont do a rythm and blues song this way, but is stands good for a quick techno track.

What is the aimed genre @peter.zenk?

Totally agree with you on this … or even more for traditional jazz …
(However I keep hearing jazz kits sometimes are miked with just 3 microphones)

Still I’m not fully sure what I’m aiming for, something new, whatever this will be, maybe a ringing kick combined with an electronic snare, whatever, the sky is the limit.

For traditional sounds I’m totally happy with the AVL drum plugin which I will continue to use.

So, I’m still collecting info on all possible scenarios, kind of a feasibility study …

For electronic and rhymthbox use I would just use a soundfont with a-fluidsynth. There are plenty of the drum-machine soundfonts available out there for free.

Yes, soundfonts and SF* players …

The issue here is, if I for instance during mixing I would like to have more snare then I would have to go into all my midi files and edit the velocities.

But … maybe there is a Midi utility that can do that adjustment for me (unless I run into the 127)

The other thing with SF* players: I can only have effects on the whole kit, and not just process the snare directly. That’s where the direct outputs are very useful :slight_smile:

Another thing I just learned: the SFZ has an parameter for randomization. Just had a look at the Salamander drum kit.
It has samples per velocity layer, AND different samples on the same velocity layer played in a random way (which can be adjusted)
This is nice!

//    snare =====================================
    <group> amp_veltrack=98 key=40 loop_mode=one_shot lovel=101 hivel=127  // snare1 /////
    <region> sample=OH\snare_OH_FF_1.wav lorand=0 hirand=0.12
    <region> sample=OH\snare_OH_FF_2.wav lorand=0.12 hirand=0.24

So then my Xmas wish list would be a SFZ player with multiple outputs and groups (for HH)

Here is my proof of concept for DrumGizmo: a nano drum kit, 8 voices,1 sample per voice, 7 stereo outputs
I can load it into DrumGizmo 0.9.18.1 running inside Ardour 6.0, responds to all velocities

http://wp10461090.server-he.de/webdav/peter.zenk/public/Tiny.tar.gz

I want to clarify a few assumptions about DrumGizmo in this thread.

1. RAM Usage: DrumGizmo is certainly more heavy on RAM than a lot of other solutions. However, the downloaded kits don’t have to be loaded into RAM completely because we use disk streaming. This means, only the beginning of the samples is loaded into RAM and we then temporarily load the remaining sample into RAM, when it is played. So, in the bottom left corner of the GUI you can actually control how much RAM should maximally be used. Of course, loading files into RAM on-the-fly uses more CPU.

2. Microphone Bleed: We also have a bleed control which controls how much bleed actually happens to the microphones which are not the main microphones of the respective drum that is hit. So, if you don’t want any bleed, just turn the bleed control on and turn its value down to 0. In this case, unfortunately, the samples for the bleed are still loaded into RAM because one can change the bleed value while DrumGizmo is playing and thus we need to be ready to play those samples. Maybe a feature for disabling all the bleed and thus also not loading the samples would help here. But I am not sure how useful that really would be.

3. normalized=“true” feature: This tag for samples was introduced because apparently some sample libraries normalize all their samples, even though they actually have different hit strengths. Setting normalized to true for a sample then just scales the sample with the velocity it is played with. So, the “power” value of the sample should still be close to the original hit strength (whatever exactly that means). Note that the powers can be any floating point numbers and we just map the lowest to MIDI velocity 1 and the highest to MIDI velocity 127.

With all this said, we would really appreciate if people create smaller kits for DumGizmo and we are also happy to host kits on the official DrumGizmo site. Finally, there is a nice tool by Michael Oswald to create DrumGizmo kits from existing samples libraries. He made a video explaining his tool:

3 Likes

Hi,

I don’t know if it would help but I’ve created a kit for DrumGizmo that I’m suppose to release this month. It comes in two flavor, a normal 14 outputs kit and a light, stereo only version. The idea being that you can start working quickly with the light version and only bounce the individual tracks from the full version once the velocity and everything else is as you want it.
I don’t know if this workflow would suit you but if so, I could share the kit earlier (I wanted to prepare some video demos for it but it can wait I guess).
It’s a pop-rock kit.
Let me know.

4 Likes

I would be very interested in both the light and the normal versions, thank you!

I am also interested—especially if it comes with alternative samples for the same velocities.
Thank you!

Each of the 27 articulations has between 30 and 60 samples.
I’ll upload it tomorrow afternoon then.

3 Likes

Oh, yes, as I mentioned in my initial posting, I wanted to create a Python package that converts Hydrogen kits to DrumGizmo. Now I have a first prototype.

A CSV side file needs to be created (editor) to map the instruments to channels, as this info does not exist in Hydrogen. Also “bleeding” does not exist in Hydrogen, so the generated DG kits don’t have it either.

Tried on the JazzFunkKit (multi-layer, flac) and a TD-7 kit (single layer, wave), loaded in Ardour, seems to work. :slight_smile:

Of course, I made a lot of assumptions, and robustness certainly needs to be improved, so more testing is required over time.

Later I could provide the package to anyone who would be interested.

Happy drumming !

1 Like

Here is my first attempt in a tool to convert Hydrogen to DrumGizmo.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.