JOST, native linux VST

Thorgal,

Sorry I was referring to the latest DSSI-VST 0.7 which has both DSSI and LADSPA extensions, So if it is utilized within Ardour as a LADSPA plugin then it will use the host interface, since Ardour doesn’t have one the plugins will just appear like LADSPA ones do.

However I am intrigued to know that you can set up separate VST’s with launchers as JACK clients. Can you run multiple instances of vsthost in an arrangement?

you can launch as many VSTs as you want, even of the same FX, they will show up like vst_somevstname_x, with x being 01, 02, etc. I often need to run two instances of my drum VSTi so it’s quite convenient.

The drawback is that if the VST does not have an internal way to save presets, you will have to tune it next time you launch it (not so with my VSTis, they have their internal preset saving mechanism). YMMV :slight_smile:

Anyway, you can certainly write a shell script (if you know shell scripting) that can do all sorts of things, like probe jack ports (with jack_lsp), filter names and launch as many e.g. VST EQs as you counted necessary from the filtering of jack ports (ardour filter or whatever), but you will have to do some manual plumbing unless you can use something like jack_connect in the script between 2 ports. Problem is, you will need to create inserts in ardour before calling the script, I don’t think it is possible to do that from an external script :wink:

But yeah, it is quite versatile. But the other drawback is that each vsthost call will create its own process so they won’t belong to ardour’s audio thread. Could be an intensive setup system-wise … but as I said, I don’t really go that road as I don’t use VST FX for dynamics but it’s worth experimenting :slight_smile:

Cool,

I’ll give it a try…couldn’t be much worse than ArdourVST resources wise, I also am of the understanding that the latest version also allows for 32bit VST’s on a 64bit System. I have an AMD64x2 processor so that’s interesting to me.

I am used to the presets not being saved, that is an issue in ArdourVST also, I have found many plugins that will save their state so it’s OK

I really have to admit I didn’t understand fully how DSSI-VST worked, the docs on the website are pretty skimpy, thanks very much for explaining it.

hmm… why doesnt fst save chunks ?
looks like i did not release any fst version in the last few years.
oh well…

the fst i have on my HD runs most plugins i throw at it.
and i only throw plugins at it which crash the old released versions.

but i dont have time to clean up the code, etc.
i also made jack support 32bit clients on 64bit system, and its already
released with jack 0.114

so… fst is as powerful as dssi-vst.