Installing Jack on OS X

Hi there,
I decided to try ardour and ran into a little problem. I can’t get any audio from my microphone and I figured it must be because I didn’t install Jack. I went to https://jackaudio.org/downloads/ and found a “source tarball” and “binaries” to download for OS X. I have no idea what these are. I read there must be a .dmg file of jack but it seems the site from which to download it is not existing anymore. Is there still a .dmg file around or am I missing something here?

Currently I’m running Catalina 10.15.2 and Ardour 5

Do you actually plan to use JACK? Ardour does not need it, and we generally recommend that people don’t use unless they have a specific need for it.

Also, please consider upgrading to Ardour 6.

Hi Paul, thanks for the quick respond.
It’s good to know that I don’t need Jack but I’m still getting no audio from my mic input.
The interface shows there’s a signal and I’ve selected input 1 but again, Ardour doesn’t notice. Any idea what the problem might be?

You write that as if your mic is a separate device. You need to ensure that you’ve selected the correct input and output devices in the Audio/MIDI setup dialog.

On Catalina you need Ardour 6.

(Ardour5.x won’t get the correct permissions to access the mic on Catalina –
see also Unable to record on OSX Catalina)

The audio just worked out of the box with Ardour 6. Thank’s a lot!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.