Installed ffado drivers and now jack won't start; no drivers (including alsa) recognized.

The UMC1820 looks interesting, but looking at pictures of the unit I don’t see any way of altering the sample rate or clock source. Presumably it needs software to do that, which may not be available on Linux (corrections welcome if someone knows otherwise).

A Behringer guy said (link below) it is a Class Compliant device and works in that mode on OS X (officially supported). I don’t know how you are supposed to change sample rate, perhaps you just change the setting in jack and software makes that happen.

The windows software that comes with the device is very basic (link to description below), the last message on the linked page says there is no hardware mixer in the device, so that won’t pose any problems for Linux users. I don’t have the unit myself yet, I only repeat what I read on the net.

Here is the link for a windows users screenshots of the windows software. On the same page another users asks questions about the device and another one answers. I found the conversation interesting.

@mhartzel thanks for the links. Your first link shows screenshots of the UMC Audio Control Panel software, which allows sample rate, clock source etc. to be set. I’m still guessing that this isn’t available for Linux.

UMC1820 screenshots in this GS post:

I don’t see anything special on the windows control software that you couldn’t be able to do with alsa, jack or qastools, but maybe the selection of clock source and it might be possible to do this with some Linux tool.

Maybe we should direct this discussion onto it’s own thread, since this a bit off topic. I will create a new one and I hope we can get the Ardour user 8p8c to chime in since he has the device :slight_smile: