How to do vertical zoom

“You are DEAD wrong and carry a defeatist and ignorant attitude”.

It seems that you’re relatively new to open source projects. Making statements like this is not how you drive change, or development, or support in general. That’s not an Ardour thing - it’s a common feature of open source projects. There are lots of “guides” online on how to contribute (and how not to contribute) to these projects - this sort of line is dead center of the sort of things they generally recommend avoiding.

I hope you don’t go “back to Reaper” … you’re clearly motivated and opinionated and passionate, and we like to have such people around. It’s just not possible to argue via authority in this context. It’s not like we don’t regularly get nerd-sniped into implementing stuff we don’t agree with. But it happens with persuasive arguments, wit and more often than not a level of ironic self-awareness.

As for your prognostications on a future story for Ardour … given that we’ve been here for 20 years with less resources than we have at this point in time, I don’t think this is how the story ends.

1 Like

Being a user of Logic and other DAW’s myself (amongst NLE’s, Painting, Compositing softwares) I do understand looking at Ardour (or other OS projects) and thinking how they can be improved.

Being interested in Ardour is not an ‘Ardour - or - Reaper’ equation. No-one is taking Reaper away, (or any other software that you use).

In fact, it’s incredibly important to use many different softwares. It enables a user to develop universal, transferable skills. Not: “I can only edit in Avid”, but rather: “I can edit, and work out what to do with any software- using first principals”.

I see often that users can get locked into software (even in full proprietary world), and be reluctant to change - or investigate other options. Even to the point that it’s clear that users don’t really understand what the software is even doing, but its just 'the Avid way… etc)

By no means am I suggesting that Ardour is complete and perfect. Personally I have a great many thoughts where aspects can be improved or entirely re-designed.

What is breathtaking about OS development is being able to communicate directly to passionate developers. With the added bonus of contributing (if your time / skill set allows). - Try to do that with many proprietary projects. The only ones I know that allow rapid communication are in VFX.

1 Like

Ok putting this here as the only warning.

Respectful dialog and critique is welcome. Disrespectful comments and borderline trolling and insults is not. If it continues I will be more than happy to respond as appropriate.

Seablade

I used to use Pro Tools every day at work and I remember when it got vertical zoom. I didn’t find any use for it then and I don’t miss the feature in Ardour either. There probably are some use cases where it is very useful (classical music for example), but I’ve been editing audio for some 19 years and still don’t need it.

I just wanted to put this thing into perspective, vertical zoom even though handy in some workflows is not useful to everyone. I find it easier to mix when the waveform height represents the real loudness of the audio. When zooming vertically you need to reset every zoomed waveform our you lose this ability.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 103 days. New replies are no longer allowed.