... Get more from CPU ?

Ok, I will test with more RAM and let you know… By the way it’s a good thing that Ardour have no limit except those of host machine !

Thanks for all Seablade -Fred

to Adaw

Thanks for the tip, I will try it tonight and will let you know !

to Seablade

Have tried :
A) and nothing change.
B) works nice, but after have to disable plugins, try to mix all tracks, enable again any track you want to change… It appears really long time’s necessary for mix, and use that flavor, but like to find something else !
C) is not an option
D) do it with B)

More RAM maybe don’t help you afraid me !! Have to be friend with the RAM dealer and him accept to do a test before buyin the RAM ! A good occasion to make a Linux demo indeed, maybe could be nice !!

Thanks all, Fred

to Charles

I never seen any freeze button in Ardour, where did yours get please ???

to Seablade

It seems that CPU use causes the HD problem, when DSP% decrease, no more disk error. Yes can rec and play, when DSP is under 80% !!

Thanks for the export tip, I will test it do trackdown takes and their FX.

I see the “hard disk is not fast enough” message under high CPU load too - I think it’s because I’m using a USB2 hard disk. I’m going to get a firewire disk soon which shouldn’t need CPU time in the same way a USB2 drive does…

to Nickmurtagh

Maybe it can help for you yes, in my case HD is internal…

If you run jack with a -P89 setting you will have one jack process running with rt prio 100 and one with 90.
Ardour is running with rt prio 85.
The irq handler for the disk runs at rt prio 51.
If the cpu load is 100% the chance that the irq handler for the disk will not be served in time is very high.

If you want to fix this you have to set priorities for your irq handlers.
But anyway if you max out the cpu something will break.

-P89 will concur with some kernel threads which run at rt prio 100 (migration, posixcputmr), I don’t think this is a good idea.

Stratojune-

What I meant with the Jack Thread comment was that to process the audio in a timely manner is preventing your computer from being able to access your hard drive. There isn’t much you can do here except…

A) Run Jack without Realtime Priveleges(NOT reccomended)
B) Export and reimport as I described above (Very MUCH the most reccomended solution for you).
C) Get a stronger computer, namely a faster CPU(Probably not reccomended;)
D) Disable tracks you don’t need. (Also somewhat reccomended depending on your situation)

More RAM can help, but chances are it won’t help in your situation enough for it to be worthwhile. Sorry.

Seablade