File/Sample/Plugin browser

If I may, I’m a former FL Studio user, and I missed this feature a lot switching to Qtractor, then Ardour. But now I’m not so sure I need it, I’d rather find an external tool that searches, filters and sort samples, in very very large folders. Anyone knows? Yet I’m using Rythmbox but it’s not made for this. A Jack App would be great.

1 Like

perhaps

but sononym.net (see @merlyn’s post above) is likely better suited.

1 Like

Wow, Thanks a lot, I will try to help packaging it.

so from external tool you can drag and drop samples just like you would inside the daw?

Yes, you can. But note that the default operation is to “link” (reference the external file). If you have a central sample-library that’s usually what you want, but if the original file is [re]moved, the session will have missing audio.

You can hold Ctrl when dropping the file to copy it (the drag-drop icon changes) – or set Preferences > General > Session > Always copy imported files.

1 Like

I am actually curious if that is still true these days. I remember working in a time it definitely was, but with how cheap storage is these days I tend to focus more highly on portability than on storage saving myself these days. Not sure what the norm would be honestly, it may be that it is shifting.

Seablade
1 Like

I dwiddle with quod-libet and drop items from its playlist straight into ardour. I get the benefit of trying to do things in more than 1 way with different workflows… Sononym is quite impressive, I will need to try that out sometime, kudos to merlyn for mentioning that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am unable to build samplecat-git from the AUR. the build process fails at some point middle, can’t figure out the error.

actually yes i have my sample library not big around 10gb of samples and very organized folders. i always used the samples when i work in FL-Studio.

Is this the error that you’re talking about? Cause I’ve got it too.
Maybe milk (package maintainer) will be able to help us (he’s active user of LinuxMusicians forum).

Or maybe someone here can give us some hint how to fix this?

fontmap.c:44:18: error: field ‘parent_instance’ has incomplete type
   44 |   PangoFcFontMap parent_instance;
      |                  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fontmap.c:62:23: error: field ‘parent_class’ has incomplete type
   62 |   PangoFcFontMapClass parent_class;
      |                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~
fontmap.c: In function ‘pango_gl_font_map_class_init’:
fontmap.c:222:42: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘PANGO_FC_FONT_MAP_CLASS’; did you mean ‘PANGO_IS_FONT_MAP_CLASS’? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
  222 |   PangoFcFontMapClass *fcfontmap_class = PANGO_FC_FONT_MAP_CLASS (class);
      |                                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |                                          PANGO_IS_FONT_MAP_CLASS
fontmap.c:222:42: warning: initialization of ‘PangoFcFontMapClass *’ {aka ‘struct _PangoFcFontMapClass *’} from ‘int’ makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
fontmap.c:225:18: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ‘PangoFcFontMapClass’ {aka ‘struct _PangoFcFontMapClass’}
  225 |   fcfontmap_class->default_substitute = pango_gl_font_map_default_substitute;

yes, this is the error i get

fontmap.c:44:18: error: field ‘parent_instance’ has incomplete type
44 | PangoFcFontMap parent_instance;
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fontmap.c:62:23: error: field ‘parent_class’ has incomplete type
62 | PangoFcFontMapClass parent_class;
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~
fontmap.c: In function ‘pango_gl_font_map_class_init’:
fontmap.c:222:42: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘PANGO_FC_FONT_MAP_CLASS’; did you mean ‘PANGO_IS_FONT_MAP_CLASS’? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
222 | PangoFcFontMapClass *fcfontmap_class = PANGO_FC_FONT_MAP_CLASS (class);
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| PANGO_IS_FONT_MAP_CLASS
fontmap.c:222:42: warning: initialization of ‘PangoFcFontMapClass *’ {aka ‘struct _PangoFcFontMapClass *’} from ‘int’ makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
fontmap.c:225:18: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ‘PangoFcFontMapClass’ {aka ‘struct _PangoFcFontMapClass’}
225 | fcfontmap_class->default_substitute = pango_gl_font_map_default_substitute;
| ^~
make[7]: *** [Makefile:534: fontmap.lo] Error 1
make[7]: Leaving directory ‘/home/apoorv/.cache/yay/samplecat-git/src/samplecat/lib/waveform/agl’
make[6]: *** [Makefile:574: all-recursive] Error 1
make[6]: Leaving directory ‘/home/apoorv/.cache/yay/samplecat-git/src/samplecat/lib/waveform/agl’
make[5]: *** [Makefile:450: all] Error 2
make[5]: Leaving directory ‘/home/apoorv/.cache/yay/samplecat-git/src/samplecat/lib/waveform/agl’
make[4]: *** [Makefile:611: all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory ‘/home/apoorv/.cache/yay/samplecat-git/src/samplecat/lib/waveform’
make[3]: *** [Makefile:476: all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory ‘/home/apoorv/.cache/yay/samplecat-git/src/samplecat/lib/waveform’
make[2]: *** [Makefile:417: all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory ‘/home/apoorv/.cache/yay/samplecat-git/src/samplecat/lib’
make[1]: *** [Makefile:542: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/apoorv/.cache/yay/samplecat-git/src/samplecat’
make: *** [Makefile:431: all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting…
Error making: samplecat-git

I was able to build samplecat a while ago and run it successfully, however I had a problem with audition samples.

im relying on ardour audio import for now.:roll_eyes:

Adobe Audition is not a DAW one could say, it’s an editor primarily

about reaper:

yes - there is browser, with preview… even slicing up sample in the browser preview panel is possible (extract part of wav file directly on track)

about Ardour/Mixbus import dialogue:
it’s already great - the thing i would like to see is:

• waveform preview like shown in reaper screenshot (ability to select part of waveform and drag to track)

the point is that this is already present in the ‘cue’ page, it would be great if that could be transferred to editor page as well (exactly the same concept like in cue page) + waveform visible. (merging functionality from import dialogue + cue page midi & audio browser would be even better - but always open like ‘editor list tab’)

just my humble opinion

i have it and i agree that this is great tool! i recommend to anyone!

I’ve hurried to make advancement and I deleted my previous post, because I’ve found this feature in Ardour v.7 Nightly (May be developers wanted to show it during release, sorry! dspasic has noticed already my post)

• it’s already there:

drag&drop_side_panel

Paul, Robin - -bib big thanks!

1 Like

my apologies , i overlooked audio/midi browser tab in edit window

i would like to see improved browser in editor tab with

Desires are infinitive - developers are two)))
@dspasic Yes that’s could be so nice.)) I’ve noticed that I can control the preview volume in the side panel through the Import window - they are related.

1 Like

true :slight_smile:

oh, that’s nice!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.