Export very slow - no freewheeling?

I’ve just made some tests with a new session (the affected session is not very old, december 19, already on a new system)
It works with a new session. Here are the results:

All tests with Jack, 96K, 1024 buffer size, 2 p/b
Times like ns /m means n seconds of export per minute of sound
test: new session, import file >1h (no file copy), with 2 different export format, but same sample rate (96K)
#working
put calf plugin: 
#working
put lufsmeter 
#working
put 2 overtone plugins
#working >2s /m
add big file 1h 3.5Go - 4channels
#working ~2.5s /m
add lsp plugin
#working >3s /m

It raises, but it’s still far from my 2s /s, so what makes my other session slow down the export?

Try starting ardour with the -B flag, to disable all plugins, and see if that makes freewheeling work in your old session.
If it does then the culprit is one of your plugins.

Do you have pulseaudio-module-jack installed? It has been known to prevent jack from entering freewheeling properly unless the pulseaudio alsa and udev modules are unloaded.

no, still the same…

I uninstalled all I could from PA, so jack-module is not installed anymore. I can uninstall all, otherwise it breaks desktop, but I pasudpend before launching jack, with pasuspender kate. Don’t know if it’s useful.

Since you can freewheel a new project the problem isn’t pulse or anything else; it’s the project itself.
The only question is what.

How many tracks does it have and is it 96kHz?
I could imagine that a huge 96kHz project could put a strain on the hard disk.

Try doing a stem export and just export a few channels to begin with.
If that works then double the channels each time until you hit the problematic point.

Also, make sure to select the CD (Red Book) format, so you’re not exporting to something crazy.

yes, I thought so…

Both test and guilty projects are 96K, and ~ the same number of tracks (3 stereos)

I can try this again, but the test session works perfectly

I use an ‘iso’ format, export at same sample rate, so no conversion to do. Again, works with test session.

What’s an “iso format”?
The standard Ardour 5.12 export is to BWAV, CD, DVD-A, FLAC and Vorbis.

Did you create that project in 5.12 or in an older version?
If you’re not using a standard format it’s possible that 5.12 is buggy when it comes to exporting from an older version to that.
But it may work if the export is made from a 5.12 project.

Try exporting CD format, or to one of the other default formats, and see if that works as expected.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.