Echo AudioFire 8

Hi Jakobbebop,
thanks for the reply!
Well, I have just managed (under MS Windows XP) to actually downgrade the AF12’s firmware back to 4.8.
As far as I know all AF’s use the same drivers and firmware.
What command should I use to know which version of libraw1394 I have?
I have been trying to install the 38 kernel but there is some trouble installing gcc-4.5 which it aparently needs…
http://www.remastersys.com/forums/index.php?topic=1276.msg7471#msg7471

So I did make some progress anyway but I have not solved the issues yet…
I do not really feel like "trail and errorr"ing all kinds of kernels and apparently I will, in the end, need the 38 kernel anyway for the new Firewire stack. So I would very much appreciate help to get the thing running. BTW it does show in the GRUB menu…
Thanks! oNNo

I have libraw1394 2.0.5-2 which according to Synaptic and http://sourceforge.net/projects/libraw1394 is the latest version.
So I guess I will have to change something in repositories?

@oNNogitaar,

AV Linux 4.2 has libraw 2.0.6 installed even though Synaptic shows 2.0.5… 2.0.6 was included as a source build because it was known it was needed for daisy-chaining on the new stack when 4.2 was released but there was no Debian source code available at the time. If the firmware is not correct on your device it doesn’t matter what Kernel you use it is not going to work on either the new firewire stack or the old. The cause of your problem is not the kernel it is the firmware on the device. AV Linux already has everything you need to run the Audiofire on the new stack and has a selection of older -rt Kernels that it will run with on the old stack. As you know there are many users running Audiofires OOTB on the stock Kernel and libraw1394. I know and realize you are frustrated by this issue but Kernel 2.6.38 and the stuff in the blog that you linked are not going to fix the root cause which is the firmware.

I already fixed the firmware last sunday… well I think I did:

WDM driver 4.8
ASIO driver 4.8
Console 4.8
ARM firmware 4.8
DSP firmware 4.8

But it won’t go, and according to this journal one needs the 2.6.38 kernel, the latest version of libraw1394 Jason says: “I’m now using 2.0.7, and all is well.”

So if 4.8 is wrong which firmware should I than have?

Thanks! oNNo

please?

finally i found out the problem is my crappy Dell FW-chipset (micro o2)

Get a firewire card - pcie or expresscard (or whatever). The Manhattan cards use Texas Instrument chips.

Thanks for the input, it will not work because the slot shares the same chipset.
I changed to my wife’s 8yr old HP (with TI-set) and, although it is not too fast, it works…