Downloaded 5.12 Installer doesnt seem to run

Good afternoon

I have Just downloaded the latest 5.12 version from the subscription area , Just a few questions :

Does this version run the Calf plugins ?

Is it any different / better than the version that came with the Latest Ubuntu Studio ?

The one I have downloaded puts a short cut on the desktop however when I Launch it the session dialogs start but when you hit start the program doesnt start

Many thanks for your fine work

Alastair

The question isn’t really, does it run the Calf plugins, pretty much all versions since something like A3 run the Calf plugins. The question is do the Calf plugins crash it, and the answer is ‘it depends, so you should likely stay away from them’.

This is a common topic around here sadly, and the short answer is the choices that the Calf plugin authors chose to make cause issues, and between that and some less than ideal sound quality I just don’t recommend them compared to alternatives.

What happens when you launch it from /opt/Ardour-5.12/… via command line? Do you see any error messages?

Seablade

Many thanks Seablade here is the terminal output :slightly_smiling_face:

The ardour5 one is the onen that came pre installed which as you can see starts fine The downloaded one returns ardour-5.12.0: command not found

alastair@alastair-All-Series:~$ cd /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/bin
alastair@alastair-All-Series:/opt/Ardour-5.12.0/bin$ ls
ardour5 ardour5-copy-mixer ffmpeg_harvid sanityCheck
ardour-5.12.0 ardour5-export ffprobe_harvid xjremote
Ardour-5.12.0.uninstall.sh ardour5-fix_bbtppq harvid
alastair@alastair-All-Series:/opt/Ardour-5.12.0/bin$ ardour-5.12.0
ardour-5.12.0: command not found
alastair@alastair-All-Series:/opt/Ardour-5.12.0/bin$ ardour5
bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour5] to /usr/share/ardour5/locale
Ardour5.12.0 (built using 1:5.12.0-3 and GCC version 7.3.0)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 1048576 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /etc/ardour5/system_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/alastair/.config/ardour5/config
ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel® Core™ i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz
ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /etc/ardour5/default_ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/alastair/.config/ardour5/ui_config
Colour shuttle bg not found
ardour: [INFO]: Loading colour file /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-ardour.colors
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /etc/ardour5/clearlooks.rc
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /etc/ardour5/clearlooks.rc
Found nothing along /home/alastair/.config/ardour5/templates:/usr/share/ardour5/templates
run dialog
Cannot get session parameters.
alastair@alastair-All-Series:/opt/Ardour-5.12.0/bin$

Try instead …

./ardour5

EDIT: Robin pointed out to me I had the wrong command in there, the command has been updated now.

While in that directory. Preceeding it with ./ will tell it to run the file from within that directory as opposed to your system provided one.

Or from any directory you should be able to:

/opt/Ardour-5.12.0/bin/ardour5

Seablade

Dont know if this makes any sense , my terminal skills are rudimentary :slight_smile:

alastair@alastair-All-Series:/opt/Ardour-5.12.0/bin$ ./ardour-5.12.0
./ardour-5.12.0: error while loading shared libraries: libardourcp.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Please read carefully. To start it from the bundle’s bin dir: ./ardour5 (not ./ardour-5.12.0).

The preferred way is to just launch it using Ardour5 (note the upper-case “A”) or the desktop launcher.

True but in this case they were saying the desktop launcher fails silently, so using the command line to view output is helpful.

Seablade

Hello and thanks for your fast reply. Does it matter that there are two versions of Ardour in this directory? We have the one I downloaded and the one that came with this version of Ubuntu. They are both marked as being 5.12 so if there is no big difference I am happy to wait for the next version.

Warmest regards

Alastair

That is fine. You can have distro versions and versions from ardour.org installed in parallel.

The Ubuntu version will be in /usr (different directory) and the binaries from ardour.org go to /opt.

You can launch the ubuntu version with ardour5 (lower-case “a”) and the binary from ardour or using Ardour5 (upper-case “A”).

Alternatively you can explicitly specify an absolute path, directly (that’s what @seablade suggested):
/opt/Ardour-5.12.0/bin/ardour5

./ardour5 got me this after the start dialog where you choose you project. The pre installed Ardour5 continues to start OK from the launcher:

alastair@alastair-All-Series:/opt/Ardour-5.12.0/bin$ ./ardour5
bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour5] to /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/share/locale
Ardour5.12.0 (built using 5.12 and GCC version 5.2.1 20150903)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 1048576 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/etc/system_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/alastair/.config/ardour5/config
Cannot xinstall SIGPIPE error handler
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/etc/default_ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/alastair/.config/ardour5/ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading colour file /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/share/themes/dark-ardour.colors
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/etc/clearlooks.rc
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/etc/clearlooks.rc
Found nothing along /home/alastair/.config/ardour5/templates:/opt/Ardour-5.12.0/share/templates
run dialog
protocol Wiimote not found
free(): invalid pointer
Aborted
alastair@alastair-All-Series:/opt/Ardour-5.12.0/bin$ watched PID no longer exists - releasing device.

reminds me of

try sudo dpkg -P csladspa

Many thanks that worked ! The only question I have is what does csladspa do and will I need it in the future ?

alastair@alastair-All-Series:~$ sudo dpkg -P csladspa
[sudo] password for alastair:
(Reading database … 306646 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing csladspa (1:6.10.0~dfsg-1) …
alastair@alastair-All-Series:/opt/Ardour-5.12.0/bin$ ./ardour5
bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour5] to /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/share/locale
Ardour5.12.0 (built using 5.12 and GCC version 5.2.1 20150903)
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/etc/system_config
Cannot xinstall SIGPIPE error handler
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/etc/default_ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading colour file /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/share/themes/dark-ardour.colors
Found nothing along /home/alastair/.config/ardour5/templates:/opt/Ardour-5.12.0/share/templates
run dialog
Scanning folders for bundled LV2s: /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/lib/LV2
Set cursor set to default

It is a plugin to apply effects written in https://csound.com/. It’s unlikely that you’ll ever need it.

That plugin had a serious bug. When a host tries to discover it, it crashes.
Ubuntu was unlucky to package the plugin at a bad time and also rolled this out to be installed by default with audio software.

Thanks again everyone !

Alastair

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.