Donations without Paypal/Credit Card?

Paul - Yeah, understood. Just thought I’d explain that I tried… :slight_smile:

I did call PayPal a few months ago to see if they could explain why they thought they needed another credit card or access to a bank account. As I recall the customer service person was pleasant, but I didn’t come away with any better understanding of it, and my pointing out that the PayPal credit card is the same as any other credit card (ie, no more or less risky for them) didn’t get me anywhere. I’m not like philosophically opposed to them or anything (maybe I should be, after what some have said), but I’m at least puzzled.

I didn’t bother calling about the subsequent problem with the single donation. Just now I tried again, and it worked fine, so I’ll assume it was a transient issue.

Hello.
Nice an Ardour 4 is out !
So happy !!!
Oh i still can’t have it…paypal still mandatory… nice.
Live’s strange, it’s easier for some people to have a illegal copy of pro-tools on they proprietary operating system, than to have an open source (you wish to make a donation for) running on your open source operating system.
I’m so hate the world right now… :slight_smile:

Best.

ps: someone knows if it’s possible to build Ardour 4 on a Gnu/Debian Stable (wheezy) as i guess there is some dependencies that needs some newer lib than those in Gnu/Debian stable.

i´d like to Support Ardour but we never work with PayPal !!

NOW, without the “safe harbour” agreement is illegal for a company in Germany, to use it.

Other ways to get ?

@peter.grassl

If you are running debian or ubuntu, kxstudio repos is one way to get it.

I don’t use paypal either and have problems supporting this project.

Please read http://community.ardour.org/about_subscriptions for the story.

If anyone has magic information on how to cheaply and legally set up a bank account within the EU, and even better cheap APIs for managing such accounts from a website, I am all ears.

There may be some hard facts missing in my understanding of this, but I don’t understand why Germans in particular are so resistant to using PayPal. It’s not actually impossible, is it?
I’m no apologist for PayPal, but regard them as a necessary evil and have an account to enable me to both buy and sell stuff when there’s no other sensible way.
Looking at a possible approach to the problem: what would be the implications of a subscriber with both a PayPal account and an EU bank account acting as a clearing house for payments?

I'm no apologist for PayPal, but regard them as a necessary evil and have an account to enable me to both buy and sell stuff when there's no other sensible way.

It isn’t just Germans, I do my best to avoid Paypal when possible, they have earned a bad reputation essentially, and I don’t really trust them much as a result. That being said, until a better solution can be found they might be a necessary evil.

Seablade

@ seablade
that’s probably true for banks as well :wink:

Any changes?
The download page says:
If you don’t wish to use PayPal as a payment processor, you will need to:
pay more than $12 so that the credit card fees are not prohibitive
… etc.

Is this possible? Because whatever amount I enter, it still goes to the PayPal page

PayPal is banned in Turkey, so I can’t use it whether I prefer to use or not. I think I’ll learn to build it from source.

Maybe people should get a prepaid or gift credit and pay with PayPal or maybe ardour should look into using Stripe. Much better platform then PayPal in my opinion. I don’t trust PayPal however I still use it from time to time.

Just coming here to show my support for Paypal-less payments. It’s literally the only reason I haven’t subscribed.

Once again … just in case you did not read it … we explain why we use PayPal here (despite the name of the URL): http://ardour.org/about_subscriptions

PayPal wants to get too much confidential data from me to open an account (scans: passport, tax card, pension card, credit card…).
With these copies of documents, this organization will be able to fraudulently issue a mortgage on me. This form of payment is the only reason I won’t sign up.

If I may ask, in which country is this required?

You don’t usually need a paypal account if you have a credit card, you can use it anonymously with paypal in most countries (depending on banking regulations): https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/account-optional

It is Russia. :grinning:
And payment by card is not possible without a Paypal account

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.