Bird Strike! THE STEPFORD CRASH PILOTS

Last not least, in the weeks of recording I frequently had this earworm:

I’m just hearing this right now for the first time…Maybe this is a stupid comment, but your songs somehow sound too human for today :slight_smile: . It’s like something you could listen from a cassette or when you go to the place where friends from town are rehersing with some new line up and getting to know each other.
It’s like Neil Young/The Stooges/The Undertones/The Kinks/The Beatles and The Oasis all at the same time. It’s messy, but there’s nothing wrong with it, simply because concept of right and wrong hasn’t yet been invented in that world.
Undeniaby human, hard to come across these days…i like it.
Here’s an (blues) artist you may like based on your guitar style (i stumbled upon it on some compilation cd borrowed from cultural exchange youth space hub, that got closed after a few years, like any other non-profit youth organisation):

2 Likes

What a compliment…! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thank you very much Mate, what a compliment indeed! If you were here you’d see me blushing like a teenager. Your verdict makes me very happy, because that was the plan right from the start, and man, you really flatter, if not flat me by putting it in the league of my heroes. Looks like I succeeded in scratching at the pedestals of their monuments, which is all I ever wanted. The human touch and Oasis have been mentioned several times by now, I feel truly honoured, and now even The Beatles, dear me.

No, not a stupid comment at all. And yeah, messy, that’s the way I like it, never mind the bollocks, if you know what I mean!

I’ve never heard of Rosetta West, cool shit. The guitarist plays the right axe, I LOVE the big semi-acoustics, particularly Epiphone originals, there you go. Funny you should come up with that kind of style, 'cause I’m working on something, just you wait and see.

Here’s something I discovered the other day, the voice is reminiscent of Union Carbide Productions’ singer. They have a ton of releases on bandcamp:

It’s a duo like Black Pistol Fire, but not like The White Stripes I’d say.

And Rick Beato keeps complaining that there’s nothing going on! Well, one may get that impression if one has somewhat of a limited horizon and only looks at the mainstream of yesterday and today…

Yeah it’s a shame, I was involved in that sort of thing in my youth and I saw it all go down, too. And that was in the early 80s. Today, it feels like the deconstruction, if not destruction of social work are gallopping.

A-hooga!

1 Like

INNIT !!! Phew…

[“Post must be at least 20 characters”, here you are]

Ah, forgot:

It’s supposed to sound exactly like that. Thanks for acknowledging the fact, I very much appreciate it!

But now enough of the personal cult, we all know how that ends: King for a day, Fool for a lifetime!

1 Like

In all seriousness, i find your music very good&warm.
Technical aspects of recording&mixing are something that could be learned.

For example, i learned completely trough trial & error…internet was slow(dial-up) , no youtube, no directions. If you dedicate some time to it, i’m sure you could be spitting out great recordings in about half an year - just because it takes practice…theoreticaly, you could learn everything very quickly. It was a very very long journey for me, but there’s simply no need to be the that way for anybody else anymore.
I didn’t mean this to sound gloomy, cause it wasn’t. It was just me having fun by recording mine& my friends “music” :slight_smile: , and basicaly learned by constantly comparing my recordings with similar style reference songs. My first “mixing headphones” were some small shity ones that came with Panasonic discman my brother bought, and my first “monitors” was a small 3.1 computer speaker system by Genius. Made 4 “albums” on that setup :slight_smile: .

Here’s a small list to investigate:

-Gain staging (specificaly when recording digitaly)
-Volume balancing/Ruff mixing
-EQ-ing (and what frequency range to aim for different instruments)
-Gate
-Compression
-FX (space&time - reverb, delay, phaser, chorus etc…- this will mostly be self-explanatory cause you’re a guitarist)
-Stereo Imaging
-Limiting & Mastering (home-made, by yourself, of course)

…and all of that interchangably while constantly referencing by using your favourite similar style songs that were done professionaly.

1 Like

Thanks for the list, I’ll consider that. Particularly the item “Limiting” is most appreciated, it gave me an idea for another approach to master the partially inconsistent bass level. That remains an issue to be solved. It’s an inherent property of the Epiphone Viola it seems, nonetheless I love that bass.

As for “professionally” done songs - I said it several times in this thread: My songs are supposed to sound like they do, with a dash of Never Mind The Bollocks vibe, or similar to what you would probably have experienced if you had been at an Oasis rehearsal in the basement of The Boardwalk in 1992… there is a reason why I introduce every song with “This is a Rock’n’Roll song. Therefore, it should be played LOUD” in the description on bandcamp.

I’m also deep into black-and-white film photography, with my own darkroom, the whole thing. My equipment consists of pre-war cameras, lightmeters and enlargers from the sixties and what have you, all quite basic and geared for manual work. I’m just that sort of old school guy.

Now - in photography, there’s a saying: The amateur is concerned about equipment, the professional about money and the master about the light. That struck a chord in me when I stumbled upon it, and I’ve had difficulties with the term “professionally” ever since.

Plus, I sympathise with the Fluxus movement of the 60s, “which emphasized the artistic tradition of chance-based process over the finished product” (Wikipedia.en). Not that I leave everything to chance, on the contrary. But I like the idea of leaving professionalism to the professionals and to focus on expression. I’d say that’s the closest I can get to determining what my freakshow is actually about.

Have a nice weekend ev’rybody,

Kick out the Jams, Motherfuckers!!!
(MC5)

1 Like

Loved the Never Mind The Bollocks - if i don’t count some more localy made albums, that was maybe the first punk album i ever heard (same thing as with many other people i guess :slight_smile: ) around the start of the 90’s in my case. I still adore “Pretty Vacant”, and the whole “The Crack” album by The Ruts for example. Just keep in mind, those album were done very professionaly when it comes to recording/mixing/mastering craft. Somebody in the whole chain was very masterful - it might surprise you, but there’s absolutely nothing techinicaly “weird” in those old school cases. The weird thing was just the musical approach - the attitude, Lydon’s singing etc.
Cheers!