Basic definition of software suggested.

I’m learning things from this conversation as I go, and I never saw any reason to attack anybody. And it’s also possible, that I might need to correct my own definition of what a ‘DAW’ really is.

But at this point, I feel that I should ask two questions, rather than stating an opinion. These questions are based on the fact, that I’ve never actually read the MIDI specification:

I assume that the keyboard’s transmitted controller values are on a logarithmic scale. But one idea which I don’t know the truth of, is whether Western semitones actually produce integer values, spaced by an interval of 1, from the controller. I thought that I had seen somewhere, that people can code a MIDI file to start a note at 450Hz, if one wants, which is not an exact semitone. Is this true? This strikes me as more nearly attainable if the logarithm of the frequency is given in 14-bit resolution, than it would be in7-bit.

But the fact is that I don’t know. I can deduce that with 7-bit values, only the Western semitones would make sensible norms.

Also, while it’s true that I can shift the octaves of my “Oxygen 61”, there is something which I found more remarkable for the moment: The pitch-bend wheel seems to work, even if it’s not being recognized by any software which I happen to be using. Now the Wikipedia tries to explain this, just by suggesting that the pitch-bend wheel is a “special controller”. But even I can see the limitation of the WiKi in this detail.

In order for the pitch-bend wheel to work, even though no additional MIDI controllers are recognized by the software, this would require that the keyboard itself is applying this controller, before it generates its messages to be sent to the synth. Which in turn would say something about the resolution of the messages.

Does most of the software have a hidden MIDI controller input, which I’m not aware of, for the pitch-bend wheel to work in fact, or is it the keyboard applying this pitch-bend wheel, and is the actual controller number for the pitch-bend wheel (labeled C18 on mine) just an additional, potential use for it by the software/synth?

Also: Does the pitch-bend wheel always have the same controller number, from one keyboard to the next, always #18 for the software to listen for?

Dirk

@dirk:

As I look at your home page right now, it doesn't say 'DAW' at all. Which is terrific. But what I actually saw written in the Web descriptions only days ago, is that "Ardour is a complete DAW for all your needs."

I’m afraid that you’re mistaken. Ardour’s home page has not been edited and never contained the line you’re quoting. I suspect you are remembering the post about Artdour3 from Create Digital Music (which has been reposted in its entirety in a few other places too. That post is at http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/12/ardour-3-free-daw-is-nearly-done-and-with-midi-could-become-your-main-daw/ and contains not only a title that matches your memory but also this line: Ardour 3 is not only nearly here, but it could be substantial enough to become your primary music workstation.. I didn’t write the article or provide it with a title.

I assume that the keyboard's transmitted controller values are on a logarithmic scale. But one idea which I don't know the truth of, is whether Western semitones actually produce integer values, spaced by an interval of 1, from the controller. I thought that I had seen somewhere, that people can code a MIDI file to start a note at 450Hz, if one wants, which is not an exact semitone. Is this true? This strikes me as more nearly attainable if the logarithm of the frequency is given in 14-bit resolution, than it would be in7-bit.

Your initial assumption is incorrect. In addition, the use of MIDI for anything but western major and minor scales is an area in which you can become quite an expert after only quite a lot of study, and its certainly far more complex than you are guessing. And for reference, MIDI note values are not given as frequencies at all, just numbers between 0 and 127. Their meaning is arbitrary, but conventions exist. Work on MIDI “tuning” has gone on mostly outside the realm of MMA, the organization that owns and defines MIDI.

Also, while it's true that I can shift the octaves of my "Oxygen 61", there is something which I found more remarkable for the moment: The pitch-bend wheel seems to work, even if it's not being recognized by any software which I happen to be using. Now the Wikipedia tries to explain this, just by suggesting that the pitch-bend wheel is a "special controller". But even I can see the limitation of the WiKi in this detail.

Pitchbend is indeed a specially defined controller message that always has 14 bits and always uses the same controller number. Software is free to use the value for whatever it wants, but it would be conventional to use it to control pitch in some way.

As for wikipedia as a reference source for the MIDI spec, let me offer a hint: the official MIDI spec is about 75 pages long. That doesn’t cover MIDI Timecode, MIDI Show Control, MIDI Machine Control or Standard MIDI File format, which are separate specifications each weighing in at many, many pages (MMC is larger than the base MIDI spec, for example).

My deepest apologies! You’re right; it must have been the article about Ardour 3 which I was quoting (unknowingly). And that description would fit Ardour 3 perfectly… {:-|} Sorry!