Ardour Setup Images

Psr dirty2

Post scriptum radio self-made (walls, doors and windows too…) Workstation in social centre ateneu candela (terrassa-barcelona), in a modernist factory of 1910, Excuse the disorder… but this studio is powerful enough to record some albums, and to broadcast to everyone in internet.

• two workspaces( easy one inside, and high quality one outside). broadcasting to giss.tv through separate server (on the left), and podcasting through data server not in the photo to store every project-recording)…
  • Soundcraft delta , with m-audio 1010
  • highly configurable.
  • Ardour lives in kubuntu house.
  • Active since 4 years ago.
  • Jackd and ardour power up everything. Many thx to Paul and others :wink: !!!
    (excuse me for the nestea advertising…)

Full at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kintana/4275685255

@ magnetophon

That’s quite a diffuser you have there. It looks like a cool idea and fairly economical. Have you ever measured the room? How does it do on the lower freqs?

@dissected:
I have, just today :slight_smile: Here’s a plot: http://magnetophon.nl/images/MagnetophonWaterfall_20-20k.png
The whole structure is made out of recycled pallet wood, with waste from the local mattress factory behind it as bass trapping :smiley:
What do you think of the plot? I know what it means, but I haven’t seen enough others to tell if it’s any good.

How did you measure that? Which source did you use? And what microphone did you use?

Here’s my (very) humble setup: Ubuntu Studio 9.04 on top of an HP workstation. I use Ardour 2.8.2, Hydrogen 0.94, LADSPA FX and obviously JACK to connect the whole thing up. Here’s a picture (please excuse the low quality, rainy day over here, not enough light):

Once again, thanks Paul and everyone involved in this fabulous project!

@Kinta: Hey, good to see another fellow Spaniard user over here!!!

Tiene buena pinta la radio, felicidades por el trabajo!

Saludos

@roaldz: “Room EQ wizard” trough a Dynaudio BM6A, picked up with a Shure KSM141.
I did a new one today (that’s why I’m editing my posts), without aliasing, but with some buzz/hiss at 200,800 and 20k.
What do you think of the plot?

@ magnetophon

According to your plot there are some pretty big dips in the lower freqs where the sound is reflecting off the walls and then cancelling with the direct sound at the mic, and at other positions it may reinforce and create a “boomy” sound. In order the close those gaps you’ll probably need some hefty bass trapping on the exposed cement(or brick?) walls and even then be careful with mic placement. It can be done relatively cheaply if you DIY.

Studio Dave, 9 February 2010.

The machines are AMD64 boxes, both outfitted with M-Audio Delta 66 audio interfaces. Big Black, the main machine, has an Edirol UA-25 hooked up to it for MIDI connectivity, The3800 (on the floor to the right) uses a Soundblaster PCI128 for the same. Audio is routed through a Yamaha DMP11 (the second one is a backup), MIDI goes through a Yamaha MJC8 router.

The speakers are Yorkville Sound studio monitors. The RA100 power amp is in the next room. Instruments are on a side wall.

Big Black runs 64 Studio 2.1 and is the studio workhorse. The3800 is my testing machine for Ubuntu installations, and my laptop (not shown) is for more experimental installs.

Ardour rules everywhere here. :slight_smile:

dp

These are the tools of the trade (not everything is shown on the photos):

Athlon X2 5600+ 4GB RAM w/ Kubuntu 10.04
M-Audio AV30 studio monitors

Netbook Atom N270 1GB RAM w/ Arch Linux
KORG MicroX synthesizer
KORG Electribe SX sampler groovebox
LEM 8ch. Mixer w/ USB connection
M-Audio Oxygen-8 MIDI Keyboard
A cheap electric guitar
A cheaper electric bass
An even cheaper modded Casio keyboard (as noise machine)
Another noise machine

This is literally a bedroom studio, located in Klagenfurt, Austria.
Consisting of: a cheap laptop running Arch Linux, a usb audio interface, a pair of speakers, a pair of headphones, an e-piano and two mics. Biggest plus: It’s quite mobile. Biggest problem: The room is tiny and basically untreated.

Band comes to my place for a first try out at recording and to start practicing using “music-minus-one”. This is a proof-of-concept, so equipment was definitely at a budget.
– An older PC 3-core AMD and 8Gb RAM, Ubuntu Studio, realtime kernel, Ardour.
– M-audio Delta 66 picked up used
– Lexicon 550 stereo digital effect box we had lying around serves as an external A/D converter for the digital inputs of the M-audio card.
Which gives a total of 6 analog inputs.
– Alesis Multimix 6 CUE (bought new for the occasion) for headphones with individual volume control each.
– 80s Sansui AU-D33 integrated stereo amplifier with my old TDL RTL 2 loudspeakers for listening to the mix

An old mono mixer/amplifier serves as a mixer for the drummer so we can mix 3 microphones for the drums onto one track, plus a separate track for the bass drum. Bass player, guitar player and keyboard go directly line in into the M-audio. One track left for vocals.

We plugged in, adjusted levels and … GO. Recorded sound quality was surprisingly good. Clear and live sounding.

Studio Cita Del Rock : France (Sisteron)
Dream Studio 64
Ardour 3.1
2 monitors Mackie HR624 + 1sub JBL “control SB-5”
RME Hammerfall HDSP Multiface II
ADAT ext. Focusrite Octopre MK2
preamps M-AUDIO Octane (8 ch.)
4 headphones Channels, mixed by Yamaha RM800 console
Control suface Mackie Control Universal + 2 extenders (through ESI “M8Uxl”)

Many thanks to dev team !!

is the picture been removed?

I’ve been using Ardour since 2008, mainly to record songs of the bands where I’ve been playing the guitar.

This is the gear that I am currently using for my home recordings:

• Acer Laptop with Intel i7 processor and 8GB of RAM.
  • Presonus 44VSL audio interface.
  • Lexicon Omega (Now I use it only as a Headphones amplifier when I am recording a drummer or something like that).
  • ART V3 preamp.
  • Line6 POD, but I prefer to record also from a real amp and then mix both signals..
  • Alesis M1 active monitors.
  • M-Audio oxygen 49 midi keyboard.
  • Mics: Studioprojects B1, T-bone em700, Sennheiser e835, AKG D11.

About software, now I am using KXStudio. Very good distro, although I don’t like KDE so much.

This is a list of the applications that I use most:

• Ardour 3, of course!
  • The SWH, Invada and Calf plugin suites. Can't live without a SC4 and Triple Band Parametric inserted on almost every channel.
  • Renoise, for all the electronic stuff, sequencing drums, bass, pads, etc.
  • ZynAddSubFx for all synths sounds. Very good sounding and very powerful synth.
  • Audacity, Hydrogen, QSynth are very useful tools also.

I’ve found that Ardour/Renoise combination is very,very powerful, I am really happy with it!

I hope my message can be useful to someone. :slight_smile:

Ardours’ base camp pictures with Tannoy monitors & wonderful mosaic logo have disappeared ?