Ardour + non systemD distro

Hi,

I just wanted to point out and clarify that AV Linux boots both systemd and sysvinit. Systemd is actually the suggested way to boot because the Desktop Environment works better with systemd. I’m unclear on what exactly the benefit of using systemd with EndeavorOS is vs. other Distros but the Audio system itself shouldn’t prefer any init system.

Hi,
Well, as we are on the Ardor forum, I ended up being generic and left what I wanted to say implicit.
I’m referring to Ardor’s operation with systemd and not to audio applications in general.
I also do not include AVL MXe in my observations, but I must warn that when I choose systemd in AVL MXe, Ardor breaks at some point in my production and this does not happen when systemd is disabled in AVL MXe, and it was this fact that led me to want study the case.

In relation to Endeavour, its superiority over other operating systems that I have tested is that it keeps systemd away from places it shouldn’t be, such as Ardour’s audio routing, after all, why does systemd have to get involved in these events? routings and so on, since the activity is between Ardor and the user is root?you understand?

It’s a conceptual issue misdirected by systemd.

It is precisely this undue domination of systemd that breaks Ardor in Arch and limits its audio I/O in Debian, Fedora, I think maybe in Ubuntu too.

But this is my initial observation as I still have a lot to read on this aspect.

Thank you for speaking out.

(my english is made google, sorry for all)

i think what happened to me when using Ardour on certain distros was a sequence of unfortunate and countless coincidences and my own technical ignorance.

In short, the root problem was in the quality of the compilation and packaging of the Ardour version I was using.

I put together several generic pieces of information that would seem to be relevant to my problem based on this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Users_and_groupsPre-systemd groups

9.3 Before arch migrated to systemd, users had to be manually added to these groups in order to be able to access the corresponding devices. This way has been deprecated in favor of udev marking the devices with a uaccess tag and logind assigning the permissions to users dynamically via ACLs according to which session is currently active.Note that the session must not be broken for this to work (see General troubleshooting#Session permissions to check it).

There are some notable exceptions which require adding a user to some of these groups: for example if you want to allow users to access the device even when they are not logged in. However, note that adding users to the groups can even cause some functionality to break (for example, the audio group will break fast user switching and allows applications to block software mixing).

I was studying about systemd and in my head it was the cause of the problem when I needed to change the buffer size or the AUDIO/MIDI connection. In my head, when I tried to make the changes, a request was opened and systemd wouldn’t allow it because it wasn’t previously configured or didn’t have a specific daemon.conf. But it wasn’t like that at all. I used flatpak and realized that the problem was in the compilation.

You will never get a better supported and proper running version of Ardour from anywhere but right here, not from Distro Packaging (even Ubuntu Studio) not from Flatpak which has architectural problems for deploying Audio programs or any other format (Snap, AppImage). The init system has nothing to do with Ardour although PipeWire seems to be developed with systemd first in mind it can also be used without systemd but it requires some extra help to start up with sysvinit but using Ardour with it’s ALSA backend should have no init relationships at all…

2 Likes

Yes, everything you said was the conclusion I came to.

I hadn’t considered downloading the original binary until now due to sheer lack of attention, and when I went to do it I realized that Ardour requires a small contribution that I will provide.

I migrated to Linux a short time ago and I still don’t have a good grasp of certain issues, and since Ardour is pre-installed I thought it was like the other apps.

Thank you very much for your attention.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.