Ardour 6.5 is released

I did find a link in my history that says my download is ready and it takes me to a page where I can download 6.3. There is an id in the link but I won’t post it here.

Visit https://community.ardour.org/download proceed to “Yes, I want Ardour 6.5"…
…and when reaching payment choice use the right-most option “Upgrade to 6.5, Change platforms or Download again":

The problem I have is that I can’t find a transaction id. This is the link I was given to download 6.3.

EDIT: Went ahead and removed the link, Robin and I can still see it by checking the history of your post, but just in case as it had some info in it I removed it out of an abundance of caution more than anything. – Seablade

Thanks for taking the time to look into it. I don’t want to be too much of a pain.

There are no fixed links for downloading prebuilt versions of Ardour. If you were logged into your account when paying for it, we would have a record of it, but you apparently were not. PayPal will have sent you an invoice via email.

If you want me to dig deeper, you need to send me (help@ardour.org) the amount you paid, and the email address you would have given PayPal.

Thank you for implementing the change indicator (asterisk) in the status bar.
I find it very useful in my workflow when working in full screen mode.
:blush:

That’s ok. I will make another payment when I can spare a few bucks and make sure I’m logged in this time. I must have deleted my invoice. Lesson learned.

Thanks very much for all your work. Just to check things before landing into trouble. I do several big projects with Ardour (im big fan of Ardour) and use a lot of VST2 plugins. Almost all the ones I use do have VST3 versions, but I did not install the VST3 versions (saving disk space). What I fear now is that I’ll lose all my presets that I made on VST2 versions on new projects from the moment I install VST3 versions. Is that so? Or will a VST3 version still recognize presets of VST2 brothers in new projects, Thanks for your time and efforts. Hans

Then you will not notice see a difference.
There are no plans to remove support for VST2 plugins in Ardour.

Depends on the plugin, but it is more likely that they are not converted.

You do not have to use VST3 plugins, you can keep using VST2 (with all your presets) in new projects too. However if you have installed both variants of the same plugin, do un-check Preferences > Plugins > VST > Conceal VST2 Plugin if matching VST3 exists, if you want to do that.

Please can you consider putting this in a more discoverable place (see mine and others comments previously). If you didn’t know it existed (and why would you if you just installed ardour from e.g. a distro) you wouldn’t even know to look for it, yet your VST2 plug-ins would not all be shown in the plug-in selector.
I personally lost significant time to this ‘feature’ during recent plug-in development*. IIRC Bitwig - as an example - has something similar but it is just an option / filter in the plug-in selector, so its immediately obvious a) that its there, right where its effect will be noticed, and b) I believe its disabled by default anyway.

** (I’m also slightly embarrassed to admit it took me way longer than necessary to realise that to change the audio interface settings in ardour you have to go to the ‘Window’ menu, and not, preferences->audio… :slight_smile: )

Agreed. It’s not intuitive. As part of the plugin manager dialog would be a perfect solution.

Also agreed. Obviously the audio interface dialog pops up on starting Ardour but it is a common occurrence for me (and I assume others) to want to switch buffer sizes when moving from recording to mixing/master stages. At this point I’m used to it but in preferences->Audio and MIDI devices or similar would make much more sense.

Awesome! However, pardon my thickness… question:
Installing on Linux and getting:
“Install Harrison XT plugins? [Y/n]:”

What is this proposing to do? I do have 32C and several Harrison plugins… I’m just terrified of accidentally wiping something out. Yes, I have backups in case.

Thanks!

When you pick "Y"es, the Harrison XT LV2 plugins are installed with the Ardour bundle (in /opt/Ardour-*/lib/LV2) and made available to Ardour.

It will not touch any system-wide installation or affect other software. It’s save to say "Y"es.

This used to be enabled by default in the past, but some free-software enthusiasts were not happy with Ardour bundling proprietary (closed source) software, so now there is a way to opt-out.

PS. Those plugins are fully-functional. The only restriction is the custom GUI, which is commercial. You can use the plugins with generic-edit, or load sessions from others using the plugins (and in case you like them, Harrison has amazing Black Friday discounts for them as we speak).

1 Like

And don’t forget your own amazing plugins on Black Friday sale :wink:

2 Likes

In the not too distant future Ardour will allow to decouple session’s sample-rate from the I/O device sample-rate, and it won’t become necessary anymore to show the dialog early on for every session.

After that step it will become possible to treat backend settings and I/O device setup like a preference (applicable to all sessions, as opposed to session-specific configuration).

Meanwhile you can also bring up the dialog by double-clicking in the “Audio” info in the status-bar: image

2 Likes

Is there somewhere I can read more about this? I keep thinking I understand the implications then there’s another nagging question. Is Ardour essentially going to act like most other DAWs when it comes to this stuff?

Yes, that is a neat touch. I nearly mentioned it previously but realized that “audio” text is not enabled by default unless I’m mistaken? Reaper allows the same (single vs double click).

In current Ardour, the session sample rate and the device sample rate MUST match, otherwise the audio output will all be pitch-shifted and length-affected. Even though we have a resampling engine at the core these days, we don’t use it to correct a mismatch between device audio and the session sample rate, because so much else would still be incorrect (most positions are stored/used as samples, and so would also occur at the wrong points in time when measured against “wall clock” time.

Ardour 7.0 will store times in a sample-rate-independent way, which means that we can use the resampling engine to adjust for a mismatch between the device rate and the session rate. Session @ 48kHz but you absent mindedly set the device to 44.1kHz? No problem. Etc. etc.

I hope we will have an option (possibly even enabled by default) to avoid this behavior, because frankly, who wants to be resampling by default in response to an SR mismatch?

Oh yeah, users of a bunch of other DAWs that think “we should hide this from users, it’s not important”.

3 Likes

Indeed, I’m also wondering why anyone would want such a situation! When I think about other DAWs, the audio and MIDI devices are set in the application’s preferences dialog but then creating a new session would definitely also set the device sample rate to match (I think/hope this might be the default-enabled option you are considering?). It seems that way with other DAWs I’ve used in the Windows world. Put another way, essentially the user sets their audio device on first run of the DAW and then selects just the desired sample rate for new sessions which then forces the hardware sample rate to match.

Is anything I’ve said off-base or wrong-headed? For now, I will greatly enjoy using 6.x and look forward to the 7.x wonders that follow :wink: And thanks for taking the time to respond to my question!

This is amazing news! I’m developing VST plugins for linux and it seems impossible to track down the VST2 SDK now, so I’m making VST3. Now I can test them in Ardour!

Thanks as always for all your hard work, guys!

2 Likes

Does this mean that in ardour7 you would consider moving the audio I/F preferences to
Preferences->audio, for those, like me, who absent mindedly forgot that the audio setup is currently in the 'Window' menu :slight_smile: (I didn’t want to change the sample rate, I just wanted to select a different audio I/F - I actually rebuilt the entire session, and then had to message a colleague to figure this out, its that discoverable…)