Ardour 4.1 released

@a-piekarczyk

http://ardour.org/first_time_linux.html

If that doesn’t answer your question, more details would be needed, as in what exactly are you doing to launch, and what are you seeing exactly when you try to launch it.

Seablade

It’s working :))) Thanks a lot!!!

Looks great - love the stationary playhead - though it does seem to have low framerates when you zoom out,- it feels like the entire ardour app is being redrawn because i can see that the timer refresh only after a couple of seconds - its very smooth when you zoom in - no skips in audio however so dont really care that much!

One funny quirk that i noticed - i am running a project on 48000hz/128 frames on a steinberg ur44 with all the plugins enabled I can see that compared to Ardour3, the DSP utilisation is much lower (60% to ardour3’s 99%) despite all the various plugins being enabled. However after a few minutes of play it starts throwing up a bunch of xruns even though dsp util is still only 60%. I have set my cpu scaling to ‘performance’.

Then i randomly discovered that when i started ardour from the terminal, it would NOT xrun at all. I first thought i was hitting a false postive, but tried it a few times until i settled to simply changing the shortcut to start with a terminal session - and voila so far no xruns at all. I can’t figure out a reason why this would happen though - i had run a few nightly builds but would always start them from the terminal so had never noticed xruns at all previously.

I also have ardour3 and tried to check on that if that was the same, but the dsp util at 48/128 was way too high (99%) so it would xrun in any case so couldn’t really compare - but in any case its incredible how i can now run an entire project at just 2 secs latency with all the plugins enabled - ardour 4.1 is bluntly a marvel of engineering

FYI, Ubuntu 12.04 complains about “errno” being undefined in libs/ardour/export_graph_builder.cc and “CAIRO_ANTIALIAS_BEST” being undefined in gtk2_ardour/meter_patterns.cc so I had to remove “<< strerror(errno)” from the former and replace BEST with DEFAULT in the latter to make it compile.

gcc = v4.6.3 and Cairo = v0.26

Cairo’s current release is 1.14.2. We pay (almost) no attention to distro-specific build issues, sorry.

peder: libcairo < 1.12.10 is not thread-safe, if you use plugins with external GUIs, you’ll be in for a few surprise crashes (mainly related to font caching). You may even experience those with just Ardour. Though since they’re race conditions it’s hard to say.

Binaries from ardour.org include a recent libcairo that does not have this issue and also works on Ub 12.04.

A few incidental remarks re: A4. Overall it’s wonderful (I’m building from git, btw). GUI performance is improved with ARDOUR_IMAGE_SURFACE=1, my video card has an old nVidia 7600GS chipset. I’m coming to terms with Ardour’s MIDI methods, but I have a question or two before venturing an opinion. For instance, I’m entering notes manually, with mouse clicks. No problem with that, but I’d like to set the note duration to something other than the quarter note. Also, can events be autoquantized, i.e. quantized on entry with the mouse ? Those two concerns hang up my workflow, I’d be happy to learn that I’m just ignorant, so if there’s a way to resolve them, please advise. Btw, the MIDI step-entry mode is very well designed, though not quite how I normally work with MIDI. Working with it some more might change my habits. I’m getting there. :slight_smile: Again, great praise to all devs !

@DavePhillips
in the grid controls change edit mode to magnetic or grid http://manual.ardour.org/editing-and-arranging/snap-to-the-grid/ and change note duration to whatever you like

I’ve been having problems using Ardour 4.1 with Calf Plugin suite. I’m using Fedora Core 22 and it crashes everytime I add a Calf Plugin.

Do you have any suggestion?

Regards

Fedora 22 still ships Calf version 0.0.19, which uses the FFTW library, which is not thread safe (https://github.com/FFTW/fftw3/issues/16). You should upgrade CALF, you need at least version 0.0.60, but Fedora doesn’t ship it, maybe because it dropped support for LADSPA and DSSI.