Ardour 3.4 released

I don’t think distro packages have ever been available except from the distros themselves (which means they are usually out of date and sometimes not as complete/perfect as they should be)

AVLinux usually has it available as a .deb in the AVLinux repository within days if not hours of a new release here, but even then, Glenn recommends using the tar file from here if there’s any doubt about the AV Linux version working perfectly.

The install procedure of the tar file is simple enough, surely?

@jens: i have no plans to ever provide distro-specific packaging. it is too much work and provides no real gain at all (especially since our packaging allows parallel installs of different versions of Ardour, something that most/all distributions do not enable in their packaging systems). We certainly do not plan to target specific distributions, and if we did, it would not be something like Ubuntu.

FalkTX from kx studio team i think has worked out the problems with loading guis in the TAL plugins

"

Re: KXStudio recent updates - any problems?

Postby falkTX » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:52 pm
Your error is right here:

Code: Select all
suil error: Unable to open wrap module /opt/kxstudio/lib/suil-0:/opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/lib/libsuil_x11_in_gtk2.so

report to the ardour devs that KXStudio sets up SUIL_MODULE_DIR variable, and ardour3 erroneously adds to it instead of replace it.
I think if you run:

Code: Select all
unset SUIL_MODULE_DIR
/path/to/ardour3
"

Ill add this note to my bug report

the work on the meters is awesome! thanks paul!

@fernesto: thank robin (gareus) for this. he is the meter-uber-meister, among many other -ubermeister positions that he holds.

THANKS ROBIN!!! K-14 is greeaaattt! xD, it really is also is good to have K-20 although mixing for for Video in 6 channels is still pretty complicated isn’t it?

more Thanks Robin! :slight_smile:

Can the loops that are going to be imported be played at project tempo in the loop import and preview? Its nice to be able to preview loops at project speed before importing them.
Thanks
Rob37

@rob37: not at present.

Hello. I downloaded the Mac OSX version and found it rather buggy. I am more than happy to test it - are there formal test specs anywhere or a test outline for Ardour? Could you point me in an appropriate direction so that I can assist with formal testing? I am running OSX 10.8 on a non-retina MacBook Pro and have various audio/MIDI interfaces to test with.

Thanks
Rich

Hi Rich!

Great! The OSX port needs much more Mac testers (and devs too, ideally) who are willing to write detailed bug reports. The Bug Tracker is linked all over ardour.org - you can’t miss it.

You’ll need to sign up to the tracker to report bugs but there’s no strict formal procedure to follow - just give as much detail as is required to reliably reproduce any flaws or crashes you find. Knowing how to use gdb would be helpful too, but I’m not sure if doing so for Macs is documented anywhere yet athough I expect it’ll be the same process as under Linux.

Thanks for the reply. I myself am a C++ developer by trade but have little experience with GTK+ other than through wxWidgets (which obviously wraps around GTK+). I have multiple platforms set up for development (under VMs) and have used Ardour loosely for a number of years, so am happy to give any help I can. I don’t know any Objective-C (which is useful obviously on Mac OSX) but is the Ardour codebase mostly C++?
I know how to use gdb (although it is easier inside XCode if the Apple devs stop changing the UI every release). I write GUIs for Mac and PC for an audio hardware company by day so I will help when I find time.

Ardour is mostly C/C++, with tiny bits of Obj-C in for AU support primarily. If you know your way around C/C++ you can work on 99.9% of Ardour’s code at least most likely.

XCode on the other hand, have fun with that:) I can tell you the people that work on OS X development tend to use Aquamacs/Emacs with gdb and other command line tools. I had for a while the code base loaded into an Eclipse project, but hfound it often to be more trouble than it was worth;)

Seablade

Congratulations Paul DAVIS for all this work.
Will you write a routine that allows to play wav-samples with MIDI keyboard, please? (as is supposed to do Samplv1?)
Samplv1 makes Ardour crash. It doesn’t matter if you write something to play wav-samples at many frequencies like a keyboard. (I will try to use extern software to play samples like a piano keyboard)
Best regards.
Ludovic RUIZ (I’m french)

linux sampler should be able to do that, or fluid synth if you know how to create soundfont files

Thanks veda_sticks.
I saw linux sampler, I compiled linux sampler, but I’m not software engineer. I don’t know how to compile it with graphic mode.
It’s too complicated. I give up !

Hey LDVC, Linuxsampler is a great piece of software. If you’ve succesfully compiled/built/installed it then you’ve done nothing wrong. Linuxsampler itsself does not come with a native GUI. It is its own sampler engine that runs once it is called upon by a host. In order to access its functions you need a seperate GUI program. There are two that I’m aware of:
Qsampler, and Fantasia. I personally prefer Qsampler but both are good. Once in the frontend software, you can create channels and load samples.