Ardour 3.0 alpha 10 released

@Scary-Hallo: It’s Ctrl + left mouse now.

@the C.L.A.: Thank you.

Im really looking forward to test it on my PPC. … When is the beta to be expected?

@LaKing: if you mean OS X on PPC: i do not plan to release Ardour 3.X for OS X on PPC at all during the beta cycle. Its simply too much work to build and test each beta on another (slow) system. Once we do an official release, I’ll bring out a PPC build as well.

@the prep
you may appreciate A2jmidid -e …

Just tested this version of Ardour. I was using Ardour 2 on a Debian PIV 3.0 GHz system. I intend to use Ardour mainly for audio tracking so few plugs. Nearly all my processing is external analog hardware. Problem is that Ardour 2 works fine on a PIV but Ardour 3 uses several times the amount of DSP. The UI is very jumpy. I do have a quad core i7 system. It has a QuadroFX graphics card. This system is for graphics i.e. I don’t care if it’s noisy. The PIV is totally silent. I want to stick with that for simple audio tracking. Is this not powerful enough for Ardour 3? If so I’m sticking with Ardour 2. I do MIDI in Rosegarden anyway.

@efflux: please join us on IRC to discuss this issue. See http://ardour.org/support for information on how to do that if you do not already know.

OK. I will do so. It’s just I spend so much time on this kind of thing - fixing things reporting bugs etc for other software as well. I end up totally losing patience. I’m actually ready to do some serious music making now and I just want things working.

Just to add here, it turns out my problem is not the PIV, it’s my graphics card. I’ve installed an old Quadro FX 3000 from another old PIV used for graphics. No sluggishness in Ardour 3 UI at all. All desktop stuff flies. I may add a new cooler to the Quadro to silence it although if I can install an Nvidia driver, it will step the fan down.

So Ardour 3 is fine on PIV as long as your graphics card is reasonable. Radeon 9200 doesn’t cut it.

@efflux

A couple of comments, first and foremost it likely isn’t your graphics card, but rather the driver for it.

Second, if you are in need of a stable platform to do music making on, using alpha or beta software, both of which mean it hasn’t been released yet, is not a good idea. The point of alpha and beta testing is specifically to find the bugs to make it stable, and if you aren’t willing to spend time doing that and reporting them, then chances are you probably shouldn’t be using it yet as it is doubtful it is going to be the stability and quality needed until it is released that most people need out of a DAW.

Seablade