Apply dynamic range compression on a region?

Paul / Kelleydv -

I’m seeing consistent crashing when bouncing w/ processing (I just reported this as a bug over on Mantis).
So I am very curious that both of you have recommended that I address my processing needs that way.
Presuming that I just don’t know what the heck I’m doing here, would you please guide me through the process?

Ardour 3-beta5

Let’s try the following:

• one simple audio track… any length should do.
  • Calf compressor… simple 4;1 ratio
  • DJEQ (just for simplicity.)… 9db high boost
    Apply compressor to existing track
    bounce to another track
    Apply EQ to bounced track.
    bounce to a final track.
    final track should now have both, comp & EQ so I dont need to insert a plugin during its mixdown.

Exactly what steps would you recommend in order to accomplish this task?

Thanks!!!
Patrick

actually, I deleted my beta5. I was testing this on 4, so I don’t know about 5. (OS X)

You want to understand the bounce feature, PBuryk. As Paul mentioned, it will be even easier in A3 to bounce in the way that you want. The current bounce functionality can achieve exactly what you want as well.

Select a region in your session and go to Region -> Bounce (with processing)

After that, go over to the right and look at your Regions by clicking the tab and possibly dragging the viewer (I’m grasping for terms here). There you should see your audio file that you just bounced. You can drag it back into the session and replace the other region (I think you have to delete the original).

There is no need to do separate bounces for each plugin. You can chain plugins one after the other and bounce the region. (You can also bounce the whole session in it’s current state by exporting from the session menu.

I don’t get a crash on beta5, but if you continue to, you can practice in A2.

I suggest filing a report on Mantis. (See the issue tracker link at the top of every page)

I would also say that it should be tested with the binary distributed on this site as well.

Seablade

I have experienced the same problem on ArchLinux, Ubuntu 12.10 and Fedora 18, with Ardour 2.8.14 and 2.8.16.
What I do is this: I choose a plugin, and then I freeze the region. Just by righ-clicking the region again, that I just froze, the program crashes away on all three distros. So it’s likely Ardour issue…

BourneShell -
Yes… Freeze/unfreeze crashed my 2.18.16 sessions fairly regularly. I got around that by installing 3.beta, which still crashes for some
things - (freeze/unfreeze… removing plugins from the track or mixing strips…and some other thing I can’t recall at this moment)… but
far less frequently. Just remember to -SAVE - your work often!

All -
I, too, have been seeking a way to add processing to individual tracks and then - remove the plugin - from the channel strip.
Doing this significantly reduces by processing overhead which, in turn, allows moe to have more tracks in the project (I see some
serious lagging of mouse and keyboard commands when I get to ~40 tracks. Adding plugins will drop me down to 30 or so before
this lagging effect happens). Also… There are some things that I might do “up front” just to make the mix easier later on like…
add some compression (2:1 - 5:1)… EQ (push the high end just a tad)… add a slight reverb or echo for depth… etc. I might also choose to
normalize the track so I have very litte to do in the way of fader adjustment during the the mixdown process. So the bottom line is that
I might have 2-3-4 processing plugins active on most of my channel tracks. That’s a LOT of overhead! So being able to commit
processing in the track would really help me in that respect.

BTW… It’s taken me about 2-months of “occasional” use to become more comfortable with Ardour. There really is a TON of stuff to
know about this tool!!!

Best Regards to All
Patrick